Water bottle coolers use an 18 liter (5 gallons) bottle to deliver cold drinking water. Although we expect bottled water to be safe to drink, bacteria can be found in it. There are no additives in bottled water to prevent bacteria from developing. So, how often should water coolers be cleaned? Let’s find out in this article.
How Often Should You Clean Your Water Dispensers?
To enjoy the fresh, clear quality of water from bottles, the hot and cold water dispenser must be cleaned and maintained. Make sure to have your water dispenser cleaned regularly to avoid bacteria growth.
Note: We recommend disinfecting your cooler at least once every six months.
Who Should Do the Full Cleaning?
Your water cooler should be completely cleaned every six months for a deep, sanitizing clean. You should receive high-standard maintenance, whether necessary or not, as well as a full sanitization program inside and out, carried out by a fully skilled engineer, to ensure that everything is working properly and is completely safe to use. If you’re using a mains-fed water cooler, this will also include a complete filtration system replacement.
WATER COOLER CLEANING
You can perform various daily, weekly, and monthly actions as a water cooler owner to maintain your water cooler clean, especially as we emerge from the COVID-19 pandemic. While professional water cooler cleaning is recommended every six months, there are certain things you can do to keep your water cooler sanitary and clean – here’s how:
Wipe down your cooler with food-safe sanitizing wipes daily to keep it free of apparent dirt, sticky finger stains, and minor scuffs. It will keep it appearing clean while removing any bacteria build-up from high-touch and high-germ locations like the taps, cup dispenser, and drip tray.
Setting aside time for a monthly clean, in addition to a daily clean, will maintain your water cooler in excellent shape. You can do this in six simple steps, including draining and flushing the cooler.
Bottled and Mains-Fed Water Coolers
- Check to see that your water cooler is switched on and plugged in.
- Remove the water bottle* and drain any remaining water from both taps in the unit.
- Remove the drip tray and clean it by hand or in the dishwasher.
- Drain 5 liters of water through both taps after placing a new water bottle on the unit.
- Use food-safe sanitizing wipes to clean the unit, cup dispenser, and taps.
- You now have a freshwater cooler that is ready to use.
With Hot Dispenser Water Cooler
- Check to see if you’ve turned off the unit.
- Using food-safe sanitizing wipes, clean the unit, dispensing area, and tap.
- Turn the dispenser on and drain the water from the tank.
- Allow 30 minutes for it to refill and heat up.
- To refresh the system, drain the tank of water again through the tap.
- You now have a fully functional hot water dispenser.
WHY DO I NEED TO CLEAN WATER COOLERS REGULARLY?
It’s vital to clean them regularly to avoid a build-up of dirt and bacteria on the surface of water coolers. A filthy water cooler is not only an annoyance in any business, but unhygienic practices can also cause individuals to become ill from drinking polluted water.
Even if the bacteria in the water does not cause sickness to spread, it can give it an awful flavor. Although water coolers feature basic mechanics, numerous sites could develop hazardous germs if given the opportunity. It’s why it’s critical to sanitize the water cooler regularly to keep it sanitary and ensure that the water inside is safe to drink.
HOW DO I HELP MAINTAIN MY WATER COOLER?
In addition to cleaning and disinfecting your water cooler, you must keep it in good working condition. It will be easier to clean when the time comes if you take steps to prevent bacteria from growing. Water coolers should be kept in a shady, well-ventilated place.
To avoid any build-up:
- Wipe out its exteriors at least once every few days.
- Encourage good hygiene behaviors such as hand washing and cleaning reusable cups and bottles.
- Clean the area around the water cooler regularly, and check behind it for any dust blocking the grill.
We filter our water through water coolers because we want to drink clean water. But it will all be for naught if we don’t keep it clean. How often should water coolers be cleaned? The answer is every time. It needs basic cleaning and every six months cleaning by a professional. Don’t take your water dispensers for granted.
Awesome Water Filters offer different types of water coolers for your home or office in Australia. If you need assistance with water cooler cleaning, contact us today!